The croffle: a croissant that becomes a successful waffle
The croffle has been the trendy breakfast and brunch pastry for some years now! But what is it? If you haven’t noticed it by its name, it’s a croissant baked in a waffle iron. The added value of this pastry is a very crispy croissant thanks to the cooking in a waffle iron.
Today, this delicacy is a new sensation, especially in South Korea. Photos and videos have gone viral on social networks. However, the croffle’s original home is Dublin, Ireland. An Irish baker was inspired by the “Cronut”, another crossbreed, a croissant baked like a doughnut.
In addition to the crispness, the croffle delights consumers with its generous sweet and savoury toppings. Croffles are garnished with caramel, whipped cream, fresh fruit, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, … The possibilities are almost endless. With these fillings, we also find origins of the traditional Brussels waffles or similar to the popular Bubble waffles.
There is no need to write more about this, the best way to discover this new trend is to taste it. Try it out with your waffle maker to prepare this ultra-easy recipe ready in minutes for your breakfast, brunch or dessert.
- Fresh homemade croissants (or frozen)
Recommended weight: between 40g – 80g (depending on the waffle iron)
- Sweet (or savoury) fillings
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate chips
- Cottage cheese
- Fresh fruit (strawberry, raspberry, kiwi, banana, …)
- If the croissants are frozen, take them out about 1 hour before. Allow them to defrost to the heart.
- If the dough is fresh, cut and roll it into a croissant shape. The ideal croissant weight is between 40g and 80g.
- Turn on and preheat the waffle iron to the recommended baking temperature.
- Before baking, roll the croissants in icing sugar or fine sugar to caramelise them during baking.
- Cooking temperature : ± 180°C
- Cooking time : 2-3 minutes
As soon as the waffle iron has reached the required temperature, place the croissants in the cooking zones of the waffle iron and close it.
Make your croissants more tasty by topping them with sweet toppings, fruit, chocolate, etc. There are plenty of ideas.
Waffle makers for croffle
The recommanded waffle makers are the following appliances:
- Commercial waffle maker for croffle (ref.52126) : recommended croffle weight (60g – 80g)
- Little commercial waffle maker for croffle (ref.52104) : recommended croffle weight (40g – 50g)
- Commercial waffle maker for croffle (ref.52123)
Shops for croffle
List of shops dedicated to this waffle